In-Person Event Liability Waiver
The following event liability waiver applies to all in-person events organized by Anthem Events Inc. under the name “TRi KiDS Triathlon Series”. Virtual events (organized by Anthem Events Inc. under the name “TRi KiDS at Home”) are subject to a separate liability waiver.
Acknowledgement of Risk, Waiver and Release from Liability
READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE ELECTRONICALLY AGREEING OR SIGNING. THIS DOCUMENT HAS LEGAL CONSEQUENCES AND WILL AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND WILL LIMIT OR ELIMINATE YOUR ABILITY TO BRING FUTURE LEGAL ACTIONS.
In consideration of being permitted by Anthem Events Inc. (“Event Organizer”) to participate in this multisport event, known as the TRi KiDS Triathlon Series, including related programs or events (“Event”), I understand and acknowledge that by checking the box below or signing below, that I am legally agreeing to the statements in the following Event Registration, Release and Waiver of Liability, and Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement (“Agreement”) and that these statements are being accepted and relied upon by the Released Parties, as defined below. I hereby freely and voluntarily acknowledge and/or take action for myself, and on behalf of my spouse, children, parents, guardians, heirs, next of kin, and any legal or personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, or anyone else who might claim or sue on my behalf, as follows:
- I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE AND ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING IN THIS EVENT. I acknowledge running, bicycling, swimming, and/or other portions of this Event are inherently dangerous and are an extreme test of my physical and mental limits that carries with them the potential for serious bodily injury, permanent disability, paralysis and death, and property damage or loss. I acknowledge and agree that it is my responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to safely participate in the Event, and I attest and certify that I am or will be sufficiently fit and physically trained to participate in the Event, which I elect to enter. I certify that I have not been advised against participation in the Event by any healthcare provider. I have no physical or medical condition that would endanger myself or others if I participate in the Event, or would interfere with my ability to safely participate in the Event. I accept responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my competition equipment and my conduct in connection with the Event. I understand and acknowledge that there may be vehicle or pedestrian traffic on the course route, and I assume the risk of running, biking, swimming and/or other portions of this Event and participating under these circumstances. I also assume any and all other risks associated with participating in this Event, including but not limited to the following: falls, dangers of collisions with vehicles, pedestrians, other participants, and fixed objects; the dangers arising from surface hazards, equipment failure, inadequate safety equipment; and hazard that may be posed by spectators or volunteers; and weather conditions. I further acknowledge that these risks include risks that may be the result of negligent acts, omissions, and/or carelessness of the Released Parties, as defined herein. I understand that I will be participating in the Event at my own risk, that I am responsible for the risk of participation in the Event.
- I understand and acknowledge the dangers associated with the consumption of alcohol and/or drugs before, during and after the Event and I recognize that consumption of alcohol and/or drugs might impair my judgment and motor skills. I assume responsibility for any injury, loss or damage associated with my consumption of alcohol and/or drugs.
- I WAIVE, RELEASE, AND FOREVER DISCHARGE Anthem Events Inc.; the race sponsors, and event sponsors; event organizers; event promoters; race directors; event officials; event staff; advertisers; property owners, volunteers, administrators, contractors, vendors, volunteers, all other persons or entities involved with the Event, and all provincial, city, town, county, and other governmental bodies; and/or municipal agencies whose property and/or personnel are used and/or in any way assist in locations in which the Event or segments of the Event take place, and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, licensees, officers, directors, partners, board members, shareholders, members, supervisors, insurers, agents, employees, volunteers, and other participants and representatives (individually and collectively, the “Released Parties”), from any and all claims, liabilities of every kind, demands, damages (including direct, indirect, incidental, special and/or consequential), losses (economic and non-economic), and causes of action, of any kind or any nature, which I have or may have in the future, including court costs, attorneys’ fees and litigation expenses (individually and collectively, the “Claims”) that may arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in the Event or my traveling to or from the Event, including my death, personal injury, partial or permanent disability, negligence, property damage and damages of any kind, property theft, and Claims relating to the provision of first aid, medical care, medical treatment, or medical decisions (at the Event site or elsewhere), and any Claims for medical or hospital expenses, even if such Claims are caused by the negligent acts, omissions, or the carelessness of the Released Parties.
- I FURTHER COVENANT and AGREE NOT TO SUE any of the Released Parties for any of the Claims that I have waived, released, or discharged herein. I AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND, and HOLD HARMLESS the Released Parties from any and all expenses incurred, Claims made by me or other individuals or entities, for liabilities assessed against the Released Parties, including but not limited to court costs, attorneys’ fees and litigation expenses, arising out of or resulting from, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, my breach or failure to abide by any part of this Agreement, my breach or failure to abide by any of the Event Organizer’s rules or terms & conditions, and information in the athlete information guide, and/or my actions or inactions which cause injury or damage to any other person.
- I agree that prior to participating in the Event I will inspect the race course, facilities, equipment, and areas to be used, and if I believe or become aware that any are unsafe, I will immediately advise the Event Organizer.
- I hereby consent to receive medical care and treatment that may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident or illness to me while participating in the Event by a medical director or any of its agents, employees, volunteers, affiliates and designees, a physician and/or hospital. If necessary, I authorize the Event Organizer or any of its agents, employees, volunteers, affiliates and designees, any organizer or sponsor of the Event, or any Event volunteer, to consent to such medical care and treatment. I understand that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment, or hospital care being required, and is given to provide authority and power to render care which the above-mentioned may deem advisable in the exercise of their best judgment. I agree to be responsible and assume liability for any and all costs incurred as a result of my participation in the Event, not covered by my insurance, including but not limited to, medical care and treatment, ambulance services, hospital stays, and physician and pharmaceutical goods and services. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from all liability for such costs.
- I hereby grant to the Event Organizer the right, permission, and authority to use my name, image, voice, and/or likeness, without compensation, captured during the Event by the Event Organizer, its affiliated entities or contractors, and/or the media in any photographs, videotapes, CDs, DVDs, broadcast, telecast, podcast, webcast, recordings, motion pictures, commercial advertisement, promotion materials, and/or any other record of this Event for any purpose whatsoever.
- I acknowledge and agree that the Event Organizer, in its sole discretion, may delay, modify, or cancel the Event if it believes the conditions on the race day are unsafe. If the Event is delayed, modified, or cancelled for any reason, including but not limited to acts of God or the elements (including without limitation, wind, rough water, rain, hail, hurricane, tornado, earthquake), acts of terrorism, fire, threatened or actual strike, labour difficulty, pandemic or another public health emergency, work stoppage, insurrection, war, public disaster, flood, unavoidable casualty, race course conditions, or any other cause beyond the control of Event Organizer, there shall be no refund of Event Organizer’s entry fee or any other costs incurred in connection with the Event.
- I understand that Event Organizer reserves the right, in its sole and complete discretion, to deny entry, revoke the entry application of any applicant at any time, and/or to disqualify any individual from the Applicant expressly waives any claim for damages arising from the denial or revocation of an entry application exceeding the amount of the entry fee.
- A legal guardian who signs this Agreement on behalf of an incapacitated and/or mentally challenged person (hereinafter “Said Person”), hereby acknowledges that he or she has the legal capacity and authority to act on behalf of Said Person and to legally bind Said Person to the Agreement. The legal guardian who signs this Agreement agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties for any expenses incurred, Claims made, or liabilities assessed against them, as a result of any insufficiency of legal capacity or authority to act on behalf of Said Person in the execution of this Agreement.
- The parent or legal guardian of the minor child/ward(s) (hereinafter “Minor Child”) entering this event, acknowledge and agree to the following:
- I am the parent/guardian of the Minor Child identified above having full legal responsibility for decisions regarding my Minor Child.
- I’m familiar with and accept, on behalf of myself and my Minor Child that there is the risk of serious injury and death in participation of multisport and in competitive multisport in particular.
- I have satisfied myself and believe that my Minor Child is physically, emotionally and mentally able to participate in the Event.
- I understand, and will instruct my Minor Child, that all applicable rules for participation in the Event must be followed and that at all times the sole responsibility for the personal safety of my Minor Child remains with myself and my Minor Child.
- By submitting my application for entry into this Event, I expressly consent that this Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada. I hereby submit to and am bound by those laws and the courts of Ontario. I agree that if any part of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, the unenforceable portion of the Agreement will not affect the enforceability of the remainder of the Agreement, which will continue in full force and effect as if this Agreement had been executed without the unenforceable portion.
I HEREBY AFFIRM THAT I AM THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF THE ATHLETE INDICATED ON THE REGISTRATION FORM. I HAVE READ THE ENTIRETY OF THIS AGREEMENT, I UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENT, AND I INTENTIONALLY AND VOLUNTARILY AGREE TO THIS AGREEMENT.